Old map of the Oxford first published by G.W.Bacon circa 1885. The 22 colleges are named and listed in a key on the right, including Trinity, Exeter, New Souls, Corpus Christi, and Pembroke. Prominent buildings illustrated include churches, chapels, hotels, the fire brigade, and post office.George Washington Bacon (1830 - 1922) was a cartographer and seller during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Born in New York, USA, Bacon was based in London for the duration of his map making career.Bacon's various business ventures were not always successful and he became bankrupt in 1867. Following this, in 1870, Bacon purchased the plates used by Edward Weller. Bacon expanded the plates, making them easier to read and improved them with a quality range of colour washes and began producing Atlases. In 1893, he bought the map business of James Wyld, which included detailed plans of the Capital.In 1900 G.W.Bacon & Co was purchased by the Scottish firm W.A.&K.Johnston and maps bearing the Bacon brand continued to be produced until as late as 1956.Old map of Oxford hand laid onto cloth-supplied in marbled slip case-first published circa 1895, republished 2018. Street level detail, the River Isis, Magdalen Water Works, and a brach of the River Cherwell, are all clearly illustrated. Colleges depicted include Mansfield, Manchester New, All Souls, Trinity, St Johns, and Exeter, amongst others.