A new map of Oxfordshire, divided into Hundreds, exhibiting its roads, rivers, and parks, first published by John Cary circa 1805.
John Cary (1754 - 1835) was an English cartographer, engraver, and map seller, prominent in London during the late 18th century and early 19th century. Originally produced using copper plates, and fine engraving, Cary's maps are highly detailed and easily readable.
The population of Oxfordshire as the first 1801 census was 109,721 people living in 20,165 houses.
When this map was published:
In 1707 the Act of Union abolished the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland, and their respective parliaments, to create a unified Kingdom of Great Britain with a single Parliament of Great Britain. Wales became part of the union under England's authority. In 1801 a further Act of Union united Great Britain with Ireland under the name of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. The national flag, the Union Jack, was officially adopted in 1801. The Union Jack incorporates the red cross of St.George (England), the white saltire of St.Andrew (Scotland), and the red saltire of St.Patrick (Ireland). The welsh retained their language and culture, and their national flag is not represented in the Union Jack. The flag of Wales is a red dragon on a green and white field.
The first census of Great Britain (England, Wales, & Scotland) was taken on the 10th March 1801. The first census in Ireland was in 1821. The census is a head count of everyone in the country on a given day. It has been taken every ten years thereafter excluding 1941 due to World War Two. The 1931 census was lost to fire in 1942 and this created a gap of twenty years from 1931 - 1951. The 1851 census was the first to record the numbers of people living on vessels in inland waters or at sea (including the Royal Navy and merchant Navy), those serving abroad with the forces, and the East India Company, and British subjects residing overseas.
top of page
Product Page: Stores Product Widget
bottom of page